Hey kids, we know ‘da rules’ aren’t the most exciting part of a competition but they’re here for a reason. We didn’t particularly like writing a prescriptive list of 17 items, but it’s the only way we can make sure everyone who enters is being judged the same way.
So, the message is…
READ THE RULES!!!
- The competition is open to songwriter(s) of any age living in the UK.
- Entries must be an original song, entirely the work of the entrant(s), comprising of lyrics and music. Instrumental entries are not permitted.
- Entries must have been written entirely during the period between 30th September and 29th October 2017, and inspired by a specific piece of art on public display in the Liverpool City Region (Liverpool, Wirral, St Helens, Knowsley, Sefton and Halton) during this time. The work of art can be a painting, mural, statue, sculpture, stained glass window, pavement art, or anything else under the loose categorisation of ‘art’.
- To enter the challenge, songs must be recorded and submitted in digital form, along with a copy of the lyrics and a photo of the work of art, to reach us by no later than 5pm on Sunday 29th October. Details of how to submit songs will be released on 30th September.
- Songs must be entered by the songwriter(s).
- The songwriter(s) can nominate other musicians to record the song entry. Finalists can nominate other musicians to play the song at the showcase event, with the organisers being informed of this arrangement in advance.
- Only one entry per songwriter (or collaboration of songwriters) is allowed.
- The judges will rate each song based on composition, lyrics, melody and originality. The quality of performance is not a consideration, although recordings should be clear enough to hear both words and music properly.
- The judges will choose ten songs to progress to the live Showcase Final to be held at Leaf on Bold Street on Saturday 13th January 2018.
- The judges’ decision is final and no individual correspondence will be entered into.
- The challenge is free to enter. However, it is expected that finalists (songwriters and performers) will make a donation on the door when arriving for the showcase final (see next rule).
- Entry to the showcase final will be £6 in advance or on the door, with all the money raised being split between Garston Animal Rescue and Marie Curie Cancer Centre in memory of Liverpool Acoustic team member Sharon Jones who died in May 2011.
- The audience members at the showcase event will vote for their favourite song; participants (songwriters and performers) cannot vote for their own song.
- Songwriters and performers will grant full, unconditional, non-exclusive use of their song and its recording, free of any licence, for use in the promotion of the competition.
- Songwriters and performers will agree to allow the use of their names, likenesses, recordings, videos and voices for promotional and publicity purposes on the Liverpool Acoustic and Challenge websites and on other third party websites and in publicity and promotional materials and press releases.
- By participating in the challenge entrants agree to be bound by these rules and by any subsequent published revisions of these rules and by the decisions of Liverpool Acoustic which are final in all matters relating to the contest.
- The right is reserved to cancel the competition at any stage or amend any of the terms or details of the prizes if necessary.